"There is no friend as loyal as a book." -Ernest Hemingway
I love to read. Books provide an escape, relaxation, and mental stimulation. As life gets more and more frenetic, simply curling up with a good book becomes even rarer and more needed in my life (and, I suspect, many other lives as well). Books are steady and stalwart, capable of holding up a wobbly table or changing a stubborn mind. They truly can be loyal friends.
As a voracious reader, I tend to rather eclectic tastes. I've read several books a week for probably 15+ years now, and have read everything from classics, to pulp/popular fiction, to nonfiction. And, after all that reading, I am starting to lose track of which books I've read. So this blog will act as a record for me as well as a chance for me to give opinions (which I hope will be found valuable) on the hobby I spend the most time on. In my reviews, I plan on addressing such aspects as language, idea, character development, etc.
May my love of books be passed on to others in this book. I am always looking for new reading material, so if you have anything you'd like to suggest I read, please do. I welcome any comments you may have. Happy reading!
Tuesday, June 5, 2012
I, Steve: Steve Jobs in His Own Words
Steve Jobs, autobiography, nonfiction, quotes.
Plot: NA Characters: NA Prose: B+ Language: A Adult themes: some sex, strong violence, abuse, political intrigue.
Overall Score: B- (fine, but don't make it a priority)
This informal collection of quotes provides an interesting insight into the values and passions of one of the greatest minds of our time. Steve Jobs, best known for his work with Apple and Pixar, was an incredible man who fully comprehended the nuances to developing quality products, and ended up altering the concept of the personal computer forever.
While undoubtably interesting to the Steve Jobs-ophile, or to the aspiring business man who has the desire to change the world as we know it, most laypeople may find the majority of the quotes included to be less than inspiring. This book contains some true gems; however, I suspect that they would be readily found in other locations as well. And, obviously, this book is not intended to read like the typical autobiography, but more of a coffee table book that proves to the casual observer that the possessor is well-read and knowledgable. Yes, I think it may be geared toward a hoity-toity audience. Regardless, it does provide that insight into the workings of Jobs mentioned above. Not a must read for everyone, but well worth a casual look through.
How appropriate that I read this book on my iPad.

No comments:
Post a Comment